Thursday, January 29, 2009

VT Composition pg 62 Exercise 4m

Everyone has a different style of writing. The steps you take to go through in writing usually define the type of writer you are and how your writing is influenced. When I write, I usually prefer to be alone and somewhere quiet. Typically, a place like that would be in my room or at the library. I feel that when I’m alone and have my own space, my thoughts flow freely without distractions and allow me to quickly write my ideas down. For many writing assignments, I tend to write using a keyboard. The efficiency and speed of a keyboard help me move my thoughts along smoothly and write at a faster pace than if I were to write by hand. The conditions I write in correlate to where I write. Those conditions would consist of a solitude place where there are no distractions. Nevertheless, even writing in my room or at the library in a quiet condition, I always use the strategy of listing ideas to quickly jot my thoughts down before forgetting them. I usually do not outline because I feel as though I would forget my ideas while taking the time to outline, but by merely listing ideas, I can go back to them as a reference for points I wanted to make.

            During my drafting process, I often use my first draft to simply cluster my ideas into a set of words. By the second draft, I use for organization but concentrate less of grammatical or spelling structure, and by my final draft, I build all the pieces together. I use role revision in my second draft by rereading what I have wrote and placing myself in the perspective of my audience. I do this to see whether my audience would be able to understand my purpose and commentary from simply the information I have provided them with.

            My ideal writing circumstances revolve around my ideal writing environment. That would be one where it is a well-lit room, quiet, and free from outside distractions. Workshop and peer review experiences have showed me that my processes to get to my final draft are helpful. The first two drafts allow my peers to give good feedback and it also creates a leeway for new ideas. My writing process differs from some of my classmates in the sense that not everyone is willing to make their first and second drafts loose in context to give room for peers to make additions to the paper without altering its purpose. However, similarities between my writing and that of my classmates’ is that we tend to write in a comfort zone, such being our room. Strategies I want to try in my writing process are outlining. Although I am not a fan of outlining, I believe that it would be good in helping me improve my first draft. I would aim to outline after listing ideas. One part of my writing process that is unhelpful is always writing in my room or the library. I believe that if I tried a new environment, new ideas may also stir in my mind.

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment